Pilot Pen Tennis Offers Affordable Family Fun Through Its Off-Court Activities; VERB Anytour Makes a Stop in New Haven on Kids Day
NEW HAVEN, CONN., August 2004 – Pilot Pen Tennis presented by Michelob ULTRA, A US Open Series Event, continues to be more than just world-class tennis with a wide array of “Hot Happenings” featuring the return of Jazz at the Pilot Pen and the New Haven debut of the VERB Anytour, a nationwide touring campaign promoting physical activity among youth as part of a broad-scale effort to reduce childhood obesity. In addition, off-court events such as the SportZone and Kids Day provide affordable fun for the entire family. Individual tickets for this year’s Pilot Pen, held August 20-28 at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale, range from $6 to $70 each with special multi-session packages also available.
- Jazz at the Pilot Pen is a week-long series of special live jazz concerts featuring some of New Haven’s outstanding jazz musicians and will take place between the day and evening sessions on Monday, August 23 through Thursday, August 26 from 5:30 – 7:00 p.m., and prior to the singles final on Saturday, August 28, from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. It will showcase the work of accomplished musicians including Nita Zarif and her Trio, The Christian Sands Trio, the Mike Coppola Quartet, the Eddie Alex Quartet and the Stanley Maxwell Quartet. The lively sound of jazz fits perfectly into the excitement of New England’s largest women’s sports entertainment event.
- The musical theme continues on Friday, August 27, between sessions, as Big Shot will perform on Michelob ULTRA Night from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. leading up to the evening’s scheduled semifinal matches. Big Shot is the premiere Billy Joel Tribute act, based in Long Island, New York and is fronted by renowned vocalist/pianist Michael DelGuidice.
- Kids of all ages can enjoy the SportZone, an interactive area with games and prizes which this year will feature the FILA Fast Serve Contest, FILA Mini-Tennis Challenge, the 25-foot GEICO climbing wall, an array of exciting “inflatables,” including an obstacle course, “Moon Bounce” and much more. The SportZone is open throughout the entire week of the tournament.
- The VERB Anytour, a 16-week nearly 100-city tour across the United States, inspires children to get active “anytime, anywhere and anyway” by highlighting fun physical activities, such as tennis, basketball, hockey, skateboarding, soccer and dance. The WTA Tour initiative will make its debut in New Haven on Kids Day, on Sunday, August 22.
- As another special bonus for kids, the popular Comcast/ESPN Kids Day returns on Sunday, August 22 beginning at 9:00 a.m. Tickets for the fun-filled day of music, court games, giveaways, autograph sessions and appearances by WTA Tour professionals start at just $6 and include the day’s full slate of main draw matches.
- Special ticket offerings are also available this year, beginning Tuesday night with the Girl Scouts Night including a Q&A Session with a WTA Tour pro. College students, faculty and employees are invited to come Wednesday as part of Schick College Night for a 33% ticket discount and special giveaway. USTA members can also take advantage of a special ticket savings for both Tuesday sessions and VIP hospitality in between as part of USTA Member Appreciation Day/Night.
- Returning for its second year, the popular Ladies Day Luncheon & Fashion Show will be held on Wednesday, August 25 from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., and again on Thursday, August 25. A ticket to the Ladies Day Luncheon includes a catered lunch in a private hospitality area, box seat in Stadium, fashion show by Brooks Brothers and jewelry by Lux, Bond & Green, door prizes, gift bags, and more.
- Free hearing screenings will be provided by the League for the Hard of Hearing on Friday, August 27 from 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Fans can also take advantage of special giveaways and promotions on Monday (GEICO Day and New Haven Register Night), Wednesday (WTNH News Channel 8 Day), Thursday (SBC Night) and Friday (FINE LIVING Network Day).
“Pilot Pen Tennis provides fans world-class tennis and entertainment at a very affordable price,” said Anne Worcester, tournament director. “Whether you enjoy live music, interactive games, good food or good shopping…all in a party-like atmosphere, the Pilot Pen has something for everyone.”
Jazz at the Pilot Pen is part of the Citizens Bank New Haven Jazz Festival presented by Casey Family Services, a free concert series held each summer since 1982. The Festival annually brings the greatest names in jazz to the picturesque New Haven Green in the heart of downtown New Haven.
In addition to its performances at the Pilot Pen, this year’s Festival will feature performances by Joshua Redman (August 21) and Isaac Hayes (August 28) on the New Haven Green. In its 21-year history, the Festival has played host to world-renowned performers such as Dizzy Gillespie, The Dorsey Brothers Orchestra, Tito Puente, The Glenn Miller Orchestra and many others. For more information about the jazz free concert series in New Haven, visit http://www.newhavenjazz.com/.
About Pilot Pen Tennis presented by Michelob ULTRA
“New England’s Premier Women’s Sports Entertainment Event of the Year.” The 2004 Pilot Pen presented by Michelob ULTRA (www.pilotpentennis.com), a US Open Series event, will be held August 20-28 at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale. Four of the world’s top 10 and seven of the top-15-ranked players, including Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Maria Sharapova and Elena Dementieva, have committed to the tournament. A total of 15 ½ hours of Pilot Pen Tennis action will be televised nationally on ESPN, ESPN2 and CBS Sports. For information on tickets, travel packages, sponsorships or on how to become a volunteer at the 2004 Pilot Pen, call the Pilot Pen Tennis office at 203/776-7331 or 888/99-PILOT.
2004 Pilot Pen Tennis Hot Happenings Calendar
Sunday, August 22
Comcast/ESPN Kids Day (session 1) - 9:00am: Fun-filled day of music, court games, giveaways, autograph sessions and appearances by WTA Tour pros! Tickets start at just $6 and include the day’s matches. First 1,000 kids receive a cool goody bag! VERB Anytour will be onsite all day.
Monday, August 23 – Thursday, August 26; Saturday, August 28
GEICO Day (session 2) – First 1,000 spectators will receive a GEICO Gecko.
New Haven Register Night (session 3) – First 1,000 spectators will receive a special giveaway.
New Haven Jazz Festival at the Pilot Pen -- Special live jazz concerts featuring some of New Haven’s outstanding jazz musicians will be held between sessions on weeknights 5:30 – 7:00 p.m. and Saturday from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Tuesday, August 24
USTA Member Appreciation Day/Night (sessions 4 & 5): USTA members receive special ticket savings and VIP hospitality from 4:00 – 7:00pm.
Girl Scout Night (session 5) - 6:00pm: All Girl Scouts are invited to enjoy a private Q&A session with a
WTA Tour pro! Tickets are just $7 and include the evening’s matches. Contact troop leaders for more info.
Wednesday, August 20
WTNH News Channel 8 Day (session 6): First 1,000 spectators receive a complimentary tote bag!
Ladies Day Luncheon & Fashion Show (session 6) - 11:00am-1:30 pm
Enjoy lunch in a private hospitality area and a fashion show brought to you by Brooks Brothers and Lux, Bond & Green. Tickets include lunch, box seats in Stadium, gift bags and much more!
Schick College Night (session 7) - Students, faculty and employees from any college or university present your ID and receive a 33% savings on up to 4 middle tier tickets. Spectators will receive special giveaways.
Thursday, August 21
Ladies Day Luncheon & Fashion Show (session 8)
Enjoy lunch and a fashion show by Brooks Brothers featuring jewelry from Lux, Bond & green in a private hospitality area prior to the start of the day’s matches. Includes box seats in Stadium, gift bags and door prizes! Tables of 6 are $540 and individual tickets are $95. Seating is limited, so reserve early.
SBC Night (session 9) - First 1,000 spectators receive a special giveaway.
Friday, August 22
FINE LIVING Network Day (session 10)
First 1,000 spectators will receive a free fan.
Michelob ULTRA Night (session 11) 5-7:00pm: Enjoy a LIVE music concert featuring Billy Joel tribute band Big Shot prior to the evening’s semifinal matches.
- SportZone: interactive area with games, contests and prizes for kids and adults of all ages throughout the week. Features the Fila Fast Serve Contest, Fila Mini-Tennis Challenge, the 25’ GEICO rock climbing wall, an array of fun “inflatables” including an obstacle course, “Moon Bounce” and much more.
- WTA Tour player autograph sessions at the Pilot Pen Autograph Center.
- Shopping featuring the latest from Fila, Lux Bond & Green Jewelers, Dooney & Bourke, LuLa Bell Handbags and more!
- Michelob ULTRA Experience: a relaxation station including cold Michelob ULTRA samples and massage chairs
- Food Court featuring Crepes Express, Shoreline Foods, Ben & Jerry’s and more
- PLUS…special on-site appearances by radio station DJ’s, fun mascots, lots of free sponsor giveaways & much more!