The 2006 US Open Series kicks off in Indianapolis on July 17, and the world’s top pros will go head-to-head in 10 tournaments over six weeks across North America, ultimately ending at the sport’s ultimate event—the US Open.
Entering its third year as "The Greatest Road Trip in Sports," it's time to put your sports knowledge to the test by answering some questions on the history of the US Open Series. How much do you know? Take our quiz and find out.
1. Which three players have finished in the top 3 of the US Open Series standings the past two years?
2. What was Kim Clijsters' total prize money from winning the 2005 US Open and 2005 US Open Series?
$2.2 million, the largest purse in women’s sports history.
3. Which man was a red-hot 17-2 while capturing the 2004 US Open Series title?
Lleyton Hewitt, who won in Washington, D.C. and Long Island.
4. Two unseeded players won US Open Series tournament titles last year. Who were they?
Robby Ginepri – RCA Championships, Indianapolis
James Blake – Pilot Pen Tennis, New Haven
5. Who made the first-ever player challenge using instant replay, featured at all 10 US Open Series events this summer?
Jamea Jackson at the NASDAQ-100 Open in March
6. Which former US Open women’s champion finished atop the 2004 US Open Series standings?
Lindsay Davenport, the 1998 US Open champion
7. Which US Open Series tournaments had finalists from the same country in 2005?
RCA Championships – Robby Ginepri (USA) def. Taylor Dent (USA)
Legg Mason Tennis Classic – Andy Roddick (USA) def. James Blake (USA)
Rogers Cup – Kim Clijsters (BEL) def. Justin Henin-Hardenne (BEL)
8. Who was the lowest-seeded woman to win a US Open Series tournament title during the Series’ first two years?
Elena Bovina (RUS) won the Pilot Pen Tennis as the No. 7 seed in 2004.
9. Who is the only player to go undefeated during the US Open Series and US Open in either of first two years of the Series?
In 2005, Roger Federer won Cincinnati and then went on to win the US Open for a 13-match winning streak.
10. Name the four US Open Series events in the state of California?
Acura Classic, San Diego
Bank of the West Classic, Stanford
Countrywide Classic, Los Angeles
JPMorgan Chase Open, Los Angeles
11. Which two players have won three US Open Series tournament titles heading into the 2006 US Open Series?