Roddick reaches Indy quarterfinals

July 26, 2007 09:41 AM
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Top-seeded Andy Roddick took another step toward his fourth final in five years at the Indianapolis Tennis Championships with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Evgeny Korolev of Russia on Wednesday in the second round.

The two-time champion needed just 67 minutes to defeat Korolev. He was broken only once in nine service games and took control after being broken in the second game of the second set. Roddick won for the 18th time in 20 matches at Indianapolis.

"My service wasn't great, but I feel I'm playing really well from the baseline,'' Roddick said. "I was moving well and felt I was in pretty good shape.''

Earlier, No. 6 seed Hyung-Taik Lee of Korea eliminated American Paul Goldstein, 6-3, 6-3 in another second-round match.

Frank Dancevic of Canada defeated Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4 to reach his first ATP quarterfinal since turning pro in 2003.

The 22-year-old, who got into the tournament as an alternate, had 17 aces. He is the first Canadian to reach the quarters of an ATP event since Feb. 24, 2001, when Sebastien Lareau reached the semifinals in Memphis.

"It was a last minute change that got me in,'' said Dancevic, who hadn't won two consecutive matches in an ATP stop this year. He brought a 9-12 record and a 109 ATP ranking into the tournament.

His next match will be against Igor Kunitsyn of Russia, who advanced when No. 4 Mardy Fish had to retire after injuring his left knee late in losing the opening set 6-4. After an injury timeout, Fish tried to play the second set and retired after losing the first point.

"It just happened after the first serve of the second set. I couldn't put pressure on my leg,'' said Fish, who has been bothered by tendinitis in his right knee. "The pain that I had from the patellar tendinitis was kind of bearable. This is just not the case. That it comes in one specific move is kind of scary.''

Fish will undergo an MRI on Thursday and said he hoped he could play again when the tour goes to Montreal on Aug. 6. He and Roddick were scheduled to play a second round doubles match Thursday but were forced to withdraw.

"It's a little frustrating because I have worked really hard. I haven't had any really great results the last few months and I was trying to turn it around. I feel like I've been playing well. Last week, I got sick in the second round and here I hurt my knee,'' Fish said. "I just pushed off going up on my serve, and it (the leg) just didn't go anywhere. I had a lot of pain just right away.''

Fish tried to walk it off before taking an injury timeout. After getting the knee wrapped, he attempted a second serve and then called it quits.

"My main concern is Mardy's long term health,'' said Roddick, who teamed with Bobby Reynolds to win the doubles championship here last year.