MONTREAL (AP) -- Rafael Nadal plans to return to the courts at the Rogers Cup after being sidelined for more than two months with sore knees.
Nadal says on his Web site that he’ll arrive in Montreal on Wednesday to begin preparations for the Aug. 10-16 hardcourt event. He is the defending champion.
Nadal has been out of action with tendinitis in both knees since losing at the French Open on May 31. He also will play in Cincinnati ahead of the US Open, the only Grand Slam tournament he has never won.
Rogers Cup spokesman Louis-Philippe Dorais says organizers expect to hear from top-ranked Roger Federer in the next few days on whether he will play.
Federer took a break after his wife gave birth to twins last month.
Nadal won his second Rogers Cup title last year in Toronto. He withdrew from Wimbledon this year because of pain in his knees after failing to win a fifth straight French Open.
Federer won the French Open and Wimbledon to bring his career Grand Slam total to a record 15, one more than Pete Sampras.