The first two stops of this year's US Open Series, in Newport and Atlanta, will not take place as scheduled following an ATP announcement that all tour-level events are suspended through at least July 31.
The Hall of Fame Open (pictured above) was slated to be played July 12-19, with the Truist Atlanta Open scheduled for July 25-Aug. 2.
On Friday, the ATP extended the suspension of its events due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Tournaments starting after Aug. 1, 2020, are still planning to proceed on the original schedule. A further update on the ATP Tour calendar is expected in mid-June.
“Due to continued uncertainties surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, we regret to announce our decision to extend the suspension of the Tour,” said ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi. “Just like tennis fans, players and tournament hosts all over the world, we share in the disappointment the Tour continues to be affected in this way. We continue to assess all of our options in an effort to resume the Tour as soon as it is safe to do so, including the feasibility of rescheduling events later in the season. As ever, the health and well-being of the tennis community and wider public remains our top priority in every decision we make.”
Earlier this month, the state of Rhode Island announced large gatherings would not be permitted to take place over the summer. As a result, the Hall of Fame Open in 2020 has been canceled, and the induction ceremony for 2020 inductees Conchita Martinez and Goran Ivanisevic has been postponed until 2021, the tournament announced.
Newport joined the US Open Series in November and was scheduled to be the first of nine tournaments in the build up to the 2020 US Open. The Hall of Fame Open becomes the second US Open Series tournament, and the first of six in the U.S., to be canceled following last month's announcement that the Rogers Cup in Montreal will be postponed until 2021.
“While we will miss these annual traditions this year, the health and safety of our local community and all those involved in our events is the priority,” said Todd Martin, International Tennis Hall of Fame CEO. “We are looking forward to providing Conchita and Goran the celebration they deserve in becoming Hall of Famers and bringing back the best of professional tennis to Newport.”
Added Truist Atlanta Open Tournament Director Eddie Gonzalez: “The health and safety of everyone associated with tennis, the ATP Tour and the Truist Atlanta Open is paramount as we navigate the ongoing health crisis and coronavirus pandemic. Our thoughts are with everyone around the world that is being affected by COVID-19.
“We will continue to work with our partners to help make a positive impact on our community during these difficult times. As well, our team is now shifting focus to our 2021 event, where we hope to provide a unique and exciting experience for sports and tennis fans.”