By Winston-Salem Open Staff
The Winston-Salem Open will bring back a top field for 2014, including former champion John Isner, defending champion Jurgen Melzer and Top 20 player Tommy Robredo. The event will be held Aug. 16-23, at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex.
In addition to Isner, Robredo, Melzer and the previously announced fan favorites Sam Querrey and Marcel Granollers, other members of this year's field include 2013 Wimbledon semifinalist Jerzy Janowicz and this year's Wimbledon doubles champions Jack Sock and Vasek Pospisil. All 38 players currently slated to compete in the Winston-Salem Open are ranked in the Top 76 in the world.
“World-class players like John Isner, Tommy Robredo, Sam Querrey, Jerzy Janowicz and Jurgen Melzer are attracted to Winston-Salem year after year because of the outstanding hospitality, fan support and volunteers that our community offers,” said Tournament Director Bill Oakes. “We’re equally excited that this year an elite group of other young Americans like Jack Sock, Steve Johnson, Donald Young and Bradley Klahn will compete in the tournament.”
Four spots remain to be filled by wild card entries, which in the past have gone to players like Andy Roddick, Tomas Berdych and Lleyton Hewitt. Four spots will go to winners in the qualifying tournament, while two spots are saved in case players qualify for the field under the ATP's special exempt rule. There will be an additional field of 16 doubles teams to be named closer to the tournament.
“If you want to see the next generation of American tennis, the Winston-Salem Open will be the place to be this August,” Oakes said. “It’s incredible that every player we’re announcing today is among the top 76 tennis professionals in the world. That speaks volumes about the Winston-Salem Open, which is just four years old. We will fill the remaining slots with other incredible players and look forward to having another blockbuster tournament this year at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex.”