Wozniacki wins 4th consecutive New Haven tourney

August 27, 2011 04:51 PM
NEW HAVEN, CT - AUGUST 27: Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark returns a shot to Petra Cetkovska of the Czech Republic during the final of the New Haven Open at Yale .

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP)  -- A little rain couldn't stop top-ranked Caroline Wozniacki from winning her fourth consecutive New Haven title, defeating Czech qualifier Petra Cetkovska 6-4, 6-1 on Saturday .

Wozniacki, the top seed at next week's U.S. Open, improved to 17-0 at the tournament.

Cetkovska, who is ranked 40th, had won seven consecutive matches since the start of qualifying. She beat fifth-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska, fourth-seeded Marion Bartoli and second-seeded Li Na. She couldn't stop Wozniacki, who also is the top seed at the U.S. Open.

The match, moved to 1 p.m. from 5 p.m. to avoid Hurricane Irene, was played outdoors at the Connecticut Tennis Center. It included a 1 hour, 40 minute rain delay in the first set. After the band of rain moved through the area, officials said they believed they would have a window of about 1 1/2 hours for tennis.

Wozniacki's four consecutive championships ties the New Haven record set by Venus Williams from 1999 to 2002. This year, the tournament changed its name from the Pilot Pen and became a WTA-only event.

Wozniacki broke Cetkovska six times including the final game of the first set, and dominated the second set. It was the Danish star's sixth tournament title this year, but the first since winning in Copenhagen in June. The 26-year-old Cetkovska was playing in her first WTA final.

Wozniacki's boyfriend, golfer Rory McIlroy, spent the week with her on the Yale campus and watched the match from the player's box.

The Danish star played with her right thigh wrapped, after feeling a twinge during Friday's semifinals. She said it would not affect her play at the Open, which is scheduled to start Monday.

In case of high wind, tournament officials brought in cranes overnight to remove the two-ton scoreboards from the top of the stadium and replaced them with two smaller scoreboards courtside. They also made contingency plans to move the final from the stadium to the nearby indoor Cullman-Heyman tennis facility.

That facility was used in 2009 for several matches when the remnants of another hurricane hit the area.